Make your own free website on
My english Site
Home | 52 Ways to say I love you | Marion Wilson,Poetry from Deathrow | Death Row is my Home | On my block | Death Penalty is wrong | Cry for help | Welcome to Prison | Love takes times | Words of Wisdom | The Power of a smile | Daily Positives | Attitude Determines Attitude | Moods of Men and Women | Petlovers | About Me | Favorite Links | Contact Me | My Pets | Kathrin Photos 2005-2006
Cry for help

Letter From Mary Ann Boike

My name is Mary Ann Salinas Boike. As you can see I am incarcerated at the present time. I have a critical medical condition that needs to be taken care of. This all started October 30,2000 at the Houston Sheriff Dept. I started having bad pains on my right side. We were due to be transferred that same night and before leaving, the nurse said I was going to T.D.C. and they would take care of me there. When I arrived the pain grew worse and the staff sent me to the infirmary. While at the nurses station they took my vital signs. I explained the pain and they said nothing was wrong, that is was probably gas. They gave me 2 Tylenol and sent me back to the cellblock, where I was housed. I had a top bunk and was upstairs. As the night passed the pain continued to intensify. Again the nurse took my vital signs, gave me 2 Tylenol and stereotyped me saying I was faking the pain and nothing was wrong. They said I had a bad case of gas. I asked to see a doctor and was refused. Finally I did see a doctor on Nov.2, 2002, but the pain grew to excruciating heights. I couldn't eat. I would sit at the table all night, because I could not get up on my bunk. I couldn't climb up. I couldn't drink water. The nurse kept giving me Tylenol each time and kept telling me the same things. On Nov, 2,2000 I saw the doctor (physicians Assistant) Kimberg. She took one look at me and asked what was wrong. I told her everything..., which nurses, sent me back and which ones said things about me. They took my temperature it was 102.6. I explained where my pain was. I was so swollen, I looked pregnant. I was examined by her, She said they were going to send me to John Sealy Hospital in Galveston ,Texas. I was sent from the Dayton, Texas T.D.C.J. hold over. Upon arrival, everyone it seemed had their opinion about what was wrong with me. They took X-ray after X-ray. Ultrasound, MRI. just about every test they could find and could not pinpoint what the problem was. The doctor came into the room and tried to explain some things to me about having to do exploratory surgery because they couldn't come up with a solution to an unknown problem, so they were going to open me up and go from there. They kept taking X-rays until something showed up while I was in the operating room on Nov.7, 2002. I woke up in the intensive care unit. They said I was a very ill woman. I was in the ICU for approximately a week. The doctor came in and told me my intestine had obstructed, pulmonary embolism, plus pneumonia on top of an infection MRSA. They had me in an isolation room. I was released back to Dayton, Texas Nov.22, 2002. Once there I was put in the segregation tank. I had a colostomy bag by then. I was placed where it was cold and they would forget to feed me at times. I had just been released from the hospital. Dayton said they had no room for me in general population and I stayed in ad segregation for approximately 3 weeks. Finally I was assigned to a dorm, but I was given a direct order to carry all of my bags myself, plus my mattress. I told the officer that I could not carry all the bags myself, plus the mattress. He said, "Carry it or stay in segregation." I was in so much pain that week. I was issued a bottom bunk, plus medically unassigned. I was not given adequate medical care. The symptoms had barely a Band-Aid to cover them. The problem had nothing. On Feb, of 2002, my medical unassignment ran out. Here I was with a colostomy bag, exposed all the while hoping the bag wouldn't bust. Being exposed and forced to work as a janitor increased my risks for further injury and infection. I had to clean dirty showers, mop floors and clean toilets. My side began hurting so much and the swelling persisted. My intestines started poking out and I was miserable more than usual, I just got worse. They were suppose to operate on me because this was reversible, the obstruction. They kept postponing it. By March1, 2001, the intestine was sticking out the size of a grapefruit. T.D.C decided to move me to Gatesville, Texas. I am currently housed in the medical unassigned dorm on the Reception Unit. I saw Dr. West here and he said there was nothing he could do for me, that I had an appointment to go to John Sealy Hospital on May 14, 2001. I went and I was postponed again until June. They doctor said they needed to run some tests and they would see me in 3 weeks. They ended sending me back to Gatesville, Texas. On Oct. 12, 2001 I went to change my colostomy bag and after I cleaned it I was fixing to put a bag in and blood was dripping everywhere. I could not see where the blood was coming from so I did what I was suppose to do, which is call for an officer. The officer called Dr. West. He measured and looked and I was sent to John Sealy Hospital, where Dr, Chu in emergency gave me a weak examination. He didn't even take off the bag to look and see where I was bleeding from, or see if there was a tear, nothing. He said," I don't know why they sent you, you're ready to go back. Here I sit with my intestine hanging out of my side, I have to hold it up to walk anywhere. I am mostly in bed because it hurts so bad. The doctors at U.T.M.B. keep postponing and my intestines keep getting worse. I have asked that pictures of this be taken. No one will, they refuse. It's now 2002 and still no operation, They send me to general surgery and each time I see a different doctor. On April 12, 2002, I finally had some tests done, that were suppose to have been done before Christmas, 2001. Since the tests they now show I have patches of ulcers from the biopsy from June 2001, The biopsy from June 2001 was negative, no ulcers. I went to general surgery on April 28,2001. I was flabbergasted that ulcers were now showing up. I asked if they could call the GI doctors to see if they could see me or give their opinion on the surgery. They said things don't work that way, they've done this before. I asked id they were going to make me wait till another 6 months or a year, The doctor said, "No, Dr Stewert will be here in a month or so." Once again my surgery was cancelled. When I got back to my unit I asked what was in my chart. I read it it said Referred to GI and then to general surgery in 4 to 6 months. Every time I go I get the run - a - round on this. Now the ulcers are suddenly there they weren't before. The unit where I am housed does not supply me with the correct medical supplies. I have repeatedly and persistently tried to get the surgery and adequate care I need. I have contacted the following people, through the only channels available to me to report the negligence. I am forced to endure more now for years, How much longer do I have to wait and suffer and be passed around, and rescheduled? Please I need help, not just to be sent to John Sealy and be cancelled. I need surgery badly. Thank you for caring and for your time. I pray that someone can help me.

Mary A, Boike

Texas / June 1,2002

Shelly Crocker

MLCC Memphis, TN

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to you in regards to my present situation in the hopes that you may be able to help me. I have exhausted all my resources to this point and desperately need some help. I have tried to contact several attorneys for advice and to date none have responded. I was given your address and told that you have been a great deal of help to other inmates.
I am presently incarcerated at Mark. H. Luttrell Correctional Facility in Memphis, Tn. On March 12, 2001 I was transported to the Tenn. Prison for Women in Nash., Tn., to be taken from there to Metro General Hospital, also in Nashville, for hernia incisional surgery, On March 13, 2001 I was transported to Metro General Hospital for my surgery. Dr. Posse from DeBerry Special Needs Facility, Nashville, Tn., did the surgery. The nursing personnel there were totally lacking in professionalism, caring and compassion. I contribute this to the fact that I am an inmate.
I was on my menstrual cycle at the time of surgery. When I was put into my room after surgery I asked for help to go to the bathroom. Having just had surgery I was in severe pain and could barely move. When I stood up to go to the bathroom blood poured down the inside of both legs. The nurse handed me a rag with soap from the hand dispenser, a pitcher of water and told me to clean myself up, never once offering to help. I could barely walk, let alone bend over to wash.
When I would buzz for assistance it would take 30 minutes to an hour before a nurse would show up. On several occasions my IV fluid was empty for hours before being replace. On one occasion it infiltrated and my arm swelled to double size before being removed.
I was never assisted with a bath during my 3 days there and my bed was not changed until the morning that I left. At that time the same blankets were put back on the bed that had blood on them from me being on my cycle.
On March 16, 2001 I arrived at Tenn. Prison for Women and was placed in the infirmary. Dr. Posse had sent a prescription for Lortab 7, 2 every 6 hrs for pain. The nurses there refused to fill it, called Dr. Boatrite and asked him to change the prescription to Tylenol #3 to be given for 24 hrs then Motrin for 72 hrs.
On the 19th of March I had an appointment to go to Special Needs to see Dr. Posse to have my staples removed. I was not transported because TPW (Tenn, Prison for Women) stated that Mark Luttrell Correction center (MLCC) had not made transportation arrangements, so that appointment was missed.
On 3-26-01 I went to Special Needs Facility and saw Dr. Posse. He removed the staples and cut a 2" opening in the incision, stating that it was infected, and packed the opening with gauze. He ordered more pain medication and an antibiotic. The same medication I was given at the time of surgery. This time the staff at TPW filled the prescription and gave it to me.
On 4-2-01 I went back to Special Needs to see Dr. Posse. He again cut another place in the incision, which he said was also infected. At this time I asked if I could be sent back to Memphis and released to their medical staff for further care. He agreed provided I return in three weeks for a check up. But before I could leave TPW I had to serve 10 days in segregation for a discipline I received while I was there. During the disciplinary hearing, the chairperson stated that I was not to go to segregation until I was no longer under a doctor's care. To this date I am still under a doctor's care. There was absolutely no sterile environment in segregation to take care of the open wounds. I received constant harassment from the staff the entire time of my stay there.
During my time at TPW I was supposed to have my bandages changed regularly and be supplied with things to treat the open wounds. I had to constantly request that this be done and it was always an argument or smart remark of just being completely denied even the simplest of requests such as a large Band-Aid to place on the open wounds. This constant negligence and poor care and treatment continued with the medical staff at TPW until I finally returned to MLCC on May 4, 2001.
Once I arrived in Memphis and was seen in the medical dept., they immediately began to clean and treat the incision for me. They took a culture of the affected area to find out what type of infection I had. I asked several times what the problem was and why I was not healing properly. They finally told me that I had a staff infection. I don't know where the staff germ was contracted. It could have been at the hospital or at TPW either one since the conditions of the entire ordeal were unsterile and unorthodox. I also requested that photographs be made of my incision to show its condition. This was done and what I received was paper computer copies.
To date I am still continuing to have health problems, although it is getting some better finally. I feel that a great injustice has been done to me throughout this entire process and I need someone who will show me how to deal with this situation. Someone who will represent my interest and help me to proceed with the correct process to make sure that justice is served in my case and also to make sure that no other inmate receives such treatment.
As an inmate we have very limited choices in medical treatment and had this not been a complete "have to" case I would not have elected to go ahead with the surgery. And being an inmate I did in fact receive inadequate treatment. I was not properly taken care of. If I had been things would not have progressed to the point that they did. Please advise me as to what my options are from this point on!

Shelly Croker